Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The freshly-bought thread

Hi friends,

As some of you know, my motto is that variety is the spice of life, so this thread speaks to that variety!

So here is the idea for this thread - what did you buy today? (If anything). I took my last final exam of the semester today, and then went shopping for a few small things that i needed and here is what i've just walked in the door with:

- more face foundation & gentle shower lotion
    - a new lipstick "shadow pink beige"
    - new CD "angels hide their faces" Dawn Upshaw, - i bought this based on what i saw in the 'what are you listening to thread'
    - Ahava Bath Salts
    - new CD Haydn Piano Sonatas #'s 31, 34, 29, 49, 35 with Emanuel Ax on piano

Okay, so now it's your turn! What did you come home with today?

as always,
    it's wonderful to chat with you-all,
    Melody

[This message has been edited by Happymelody (edited May 12, 2003).]
    http://pinksonata.proboards18.com

Your idea behind this thread is good, but as a moderator of this forum I can't ignore the fact that most of it is way off topic and contravenes the rules which are there to keep this forum focused on the issues as much as possible - we really can't go down the path of discussing different lipstick shades! It would be best if members would stick to their latest cd purchases or musically related items.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited May 13, 2003).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I agree, let's please keep this thread limited to purchases related to music.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
        I agree, let's please keep this thread limited to purchases related to music.
        Very well, in keeping with the topic and request above, my latest musical purchase consists of a DVD featuring Penderecki (I surely cannot spell his first name!) and a cd featuring the Bruckner 3rd Symphony. (Nice combination, no?)

Comment

I just bought Mikahil Pletnev playing J.S.Bach, the Partita No.6, is a LP from Melodiya that he recorded in 1978 after winning the Tchaikovsky Competition.
          I'm a collector of Pletnev recordings, and have already everything he had recorded for Virgin Classics and Deutsche Grammophon, now I'm in the process of collecting what he recorded for Melodiya and Olympia.
          I feel so happy.... to have found this one.

Marta

Comment

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I love this board but it saddens me greatly that music is considered divorced from real life in this board. We are real people - social creatures - and i think of classical music as part of my character that goes hand in hand with a new lipstick.

maybe more young people would listen to classical music too when if they could see it integrated into their lives.

yesterday i went to go visit a very sick friend (another tori-phile - i met him through the tori amos message boards) and brought to cheer him up, some flowers, a box of See's chocolates, and a mix CD that i had burned with a couple of my fave classical works - since he doesnt know classical music very well, i included Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (pletnev on piano of course!), my fave Haydn Sonata, a little Chopin, including a waltz, and a rachmaninov etude. He loves it!! i think that the music helped lift his spirits and brought us closer.

today i was back on the tori message boards and talking to a 24 year old girl in holland, who, it turns out, listens to opera. She was telling me how she just loves "Dido and Aeneas" - which to be totally honest i've never heard - but now i must go check it out! Of course, on the tori message boards we were pretty far off topic - but how much can you say about Tori Amos? (she's awesome though) - pretty soon people want to get to know each other as real people.

that's my take on it. i'm a real person, you're a real person, i'd like to get to know you as part of getting to know classical music and would hope for the reciprocal.

if this doesn't work for you-all, i guess i just wont be back, which saddens me terribly.

Love,
            Melody

[This message has been edited by Happymelody (edited May 14, 2003).]
            http://pinksonata.proboards18.com

Comment

Well I agree with the administrators. The idea that we should all go out shopping and list everything we've bought on this forum is ridiculous!

At first I thought you meant items related to Beethoven, but when you came up with a list of cosmetics and bath salts I couldn't believe it!

I come to this forum to learn about Beethoven, and not to read about peoples' choice of shower gel. :-)

Melvyn.

Comment

Happymelody,

Music is not considered divorced from real life on this board. But this board does exist for the specific purpose of discussing Beethoven in particular, and classical music in general. Allowing any random topic to be discussed would make the board less effective for its intended purpose. As it is, anyone interested in Beethoven can come to this board, click on any topic, and find something interesting and relevent to Beethoven and his music without having to wade through a lot of unrelated posts. That is the goal of this website.

If social interaction is your primary concern, there are other places on the Internet for that. Still, I think there is a good amount of that that exists on this board expressed through our dicussions on classical music. In my experience, message boards that do not enforce such a common thread degenerate into nonsense fairly quickly and become useless.

However.

If there is sufficient interest by members, it might not be unreasonable to open up an "off-topic" forum, where people could discuss other topics. I am not sure it would wind up getting much use, however, because I think the main thing that attracts people to this board is discussion of classical music.

Comment

Originally posted by Marta:
                  I just bought Mikahil Pletnev playing J.S.Bach, the Partita No.6, is a LP from Melodiya that he recorded in 1978 after winning the Tchaikovsky Competition.
                  I'm a collector of Pletnev recordings, and have already everything he had recorded for Virgin Classics and Deutsche Grammophon, now I'm in the process of collecting what he recorded for Melodiya and Olympia.
                  I feel so happy.... to have found this one.

Marta
                  I'm looking to buy a recording of the Partitas and your enthusiasm for Pletnev may swing my decision!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter, I think a good statement of mission.

Just bought, Tchaikowky's opera Eugene Onegin in English, Welsh National Opera/Mackerras. Works by Nielson and Sibelius, Royal Scottish National Orchestra/Gibson. I am asking my wife for the Ring in English by the English National Opera/Reginald Goodall for my birthday later this month. This is a three-part hat trick for the British Isles in my choices...but being able to listen to opera in English has much to do with it.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited May 15, 2003).]
                    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                      I'm looking to buy a recording of the Partitas and your enthusiasm for Pletnev may swing my decision!

Hi Peter.

I just listened Pletnev's performance of the Bach's Partita No.6. Is impecable, and a very good performance considering his age by the time he recorded it, only 21 years old.
                      But all the *seeds* of his today magnifecent playing can be detected.
                      Being a collector of his recordings I'm very happy to have it.
                      Peter, are you familiar with his playing?
                      His 2CDs of Beethoven's Variations and Bagatelles is a must, just exquisite.

Marta

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
                        [B] I'm looking to buy a recording of the Partitas and your enthusiasm for Pletnev may swing my decision!

Besides records, I had never really collected anything until I met Ludwig. So now, ugh, I can't help it, I collect various Beethoven doodads. Mostly books, stamps and old postcards. Ummm... concert posters, programs, sheet music, baseball caps I got a beautiful Austrian stamp with Florestan on it at the opera last Friday.

Here is handy tip to bring joy to your daily life: I buy Beethoven stuff from ebay and have it delivered to my office. It motivates me to come to work!

Comment

I found a terrific book on Beethoven for a dollar at the St Vincent de Paul it is loaded with coloured illustrations .Five of Fidelio used to sell marmite or the German ,if I can figure out how to post the picture I shall.
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Suzie:
                            Here is handy tip to bring joy to your daily life: I buy Beethoven stuff from ebay and have it delivered to my office. It motivates me to come to work!

What an excellent idea!

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Marta:
                              Hi Peter.

I just listened Pletnev's performance of the Bach's Partita No.6. Is impecable, and a very good performance considering his age by the time he recorded it, only 21 years old.
                              But all the *seeds* of his today magnifecent playing can be detected.
                              Being a collector of his recordings I'm very happy to have it.
                              Peter, are you familiar with his playing?
                              His 2CDs of Beethoven's Variations and Bagatelles is a must, just exquisite.

Marta

I'm not as familiar as I perhaps should be - I'll look out for that cd of the bagatelles!

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X