Another Beethoven Concert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Beethoven Concert

I'm off tonight to a Beethoven Concert they're performing at one of our Centre for the Arts Building. The program includes:
    Opus 10/3 Piano Sonata #7
    Opus 110 Piano Sonata #31 and
    Opus 57 Piano Sonata #57 (The Appassionata)
    I know it's going to be fantastic. I'm really excited about seeing The Appassionata being performed.
    Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Sounds like a great evening, Joy! (Pardon me while I turn green.) Let us know how it turns out.

Mary

Comment

Great recital program, who was the pianist??
      Beethoven's Sonata in F Minor, Op. 57 is definately one of the greatest piano sonatas ever written. I am currently working on the piece, and I would agree.

Comment

Originally posted by LudwigVBeethoven:
        Beethoven's Sonata in F Minor, Op. 57 is definately one of the greatest piano sonatas ever written. I am currently working on the piece, and I would agree.
        I would agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Beloved:
          I would agree with you.
          And I agree with you

------------------
          "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
            And I agree with you
            I agree with both of you (this topic could run & run).............

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
              And I agree with you

Cool! *high fives*

Comment

The pianist is Caio Pagano. He is one of the music professors here at Arizona State University. They were giving a free concert in the music hall. They give a lot of free concerts here. He played it fantastically. The people gave him a standing ovation.

I have since learned that Caio Pagano is making a concert tour of the United States this summer and will return to his duties on the board of director's this fall at AZ University.
                Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 06-27-2001).]
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Whenever I play the beginning of the Appassionata, it reminds me of the beginning of the (American) National Anthem. Does anyone else hear that? You know, that part that goes "Oh say can you see...?"

Comment

Hello,
                    Glenn Gould would not have agreed with you. For him (TV interview) the Appassionata was utterly ridiculous, a piece of crap and he tried to prove his point by a performance which ai would describe as a nasty, mischievous caricature.

I do not know why he felt compelled to do so.
                    However, the work tends to be misunderstood more often than other piano sonatas; I heard very few good performances (as is with the Hammerklavier sonata) compared to other LvB piano sonatas.

It is one of my LvB favourites.
                    Greets,
                    Bernhard
                    Greets,
                    Bernhard

Comment

Now that you mention it, Chris, I do hear a connection..... Look! There's a cow that looks like Elvis!!!!!

Gould was somewhat unusual, in that he almost never liked anything that didn't have counterpoint in it. He was obsessed with counterpoint. He once stated that he thought that this one Mozart symphony was terrible, except for a brief section of the last movement where there happens to be counterpoint.

Bob

------------------
                      I am not a number, I am a free man!

[This message has been edited by Bob the Composer (edited 06-25-2001).]
                      Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:
                        Now that you mention it, Chris, I do hear a connection..... Look! There's a cow that looks like Elvis!!!!!

Gould was somewhat unusual, in that he almost never liked anything that didn't have counterpoint in it. He was obsessed with counterpoint. He once stated that he thought that this one Mozart symphony was terrible, except for a brief section of the last movement where there happens to be counterpoint.

Bob
                        I presume this most 'unusual' character's favourite was thus Bach? In the one disk of his I have of B's music (variations op34 & 35) he plays as if the whole thing is a joke, and sings throughout! I suppose Gould was classical music's first buffoon, whose jester's hat is now in the posession of 'Kennedy'.

------------------
                        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

What a concert !
                          Naturally, opus 110 and opus 57 are gigantic, but I do appreciate highly the 2d mouvement opus opus 10 n°3, with so deep feelings in it....

Glenn GOULD... well, for me he has not always had had his full mind anyway : I do not understand people who put him on the top.
                          He does not bring me nothing and anyway has nothing to do with BEETHOVEN !!! Sorry if it hurts some of you....

------------------
                          Claudie
                          Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
                            What a concert !
                            Naturally, opus 110 and opus 57 are gigantic, but I do appreciate highly the 2d mouvement opus opus 10 n°3, with so deep feelings in it....

Glenn GOULD... well, for me he has not always had had his full mind anyway : I do not understand people who put him on the top.
                            He does not bring me nothing and anyway has nothing to do with BEETHOVEN !!! Sorry if it hurts some of you....

I agree entirely - I'm not too keen on his Bach either, which for me is too clinical.
                            Dinu Lipati was a greater artist in my estimation - his early death being a tragic loss to music.

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I feel happy with your remark : for me too GOULD's BACH is too "clinical" (you have found the right word !!!)
                              And Dinu LIPATTI !!! I am a fan of him. I have all the old recordings....
                              Claudie

Comment

Working...
                              X