• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today:

Puccini:
    Il Tabarro

JSBach:
    Cantatas BWV 47, 114 and 148 (Cantatas for Trinity 17, today)

Louis Andriessen:
    De negen Symphonieen van Ludwig van Beethoven voor orkest, beat band en IJscobel(1970). This is pre-Volharding (1972) Louis Andriessen, and musically more Beethoven and an untypical piece for Andriessen, though its humour is unmistakingly Andriessen. It takes 9 minutes and it uses more or less chronologically themes of fragments from the Beethoven symphonies: 1i, 2iii, 3i, 4i, 5i, 6i and 6ii and 6ii, 7i and 7ii, 8i and 8ii and 9 “Freude”theme”.
    These fragments are interspersed with popular(ized) music, especially where hammering Beethoven allows such easily, as at the end of 2iii leading to the great off-beat chords in 3i and the rhythms of 7i and 8ii. Further there is popular 1970-music evolving from Beethoven, herp Alpert and a near-quote from Lara’s theme from Doctor Zhivago following 6v’s Shepard’s song.
    The end is a paraphrase of the pop-version of the Ode to Joy which hit the pop charts in 1970, obviously with drum bass, but ending with the last four bars of the Sacre du Printemps.
    Further an elaboration of 8ii into the Stravinskyan/rossinian Barbiere-theme, and very sentimental quotes form Für Elise and the Moonlight sonata, more or less a la Waldo de los Rios.
    And all of this withing 10 minutes.

Comment

What I woke up to this morning sounded so much like a Haydn symphony but when the announcer came on he said, "I'll bet you thought that was a long lost Haydn Symphony!" This was Pleyel's Symphony in C, op. 66, a very fine work, indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        What I woke up to this morning sounded so much like a Haydn symphony but when the announcer came on he said, "I'll bet you thought that was a long lost Haydn Symphony!" This was Pleyel's Symphony in C, op. 66, a very fine work, indeed!
        Or did the Haydn sound like Pleyel ?

===========

Today:

Puccini:
        Il suor Angelica

David:
        Violin concerto no.4 in E op.23 (R3: Ao3)

Langgaard:
        Symphony no.4 “Lovfall” (1916)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          De negen Symphonieen van Ludwig van Beethoven voor orkest, beat band en IJscobel(1970). This is pre-Volharding (1972) Louis Andriessen, and musically more Beethoven and an untypical piece for Andriessen, though its humour is unmistakingly Andriessen. It takes 9 minutes and it uses more or less chronologically themes of fragments from the Beethoven symphonies: 1i, 2iii, 3i, 4i, 5i, 6i and 6ii and 6ii, 7i and 7ii, 8i and 8ii and 9 “Freude”theme”.
          These fragments are interspersed with popular(ized) music, especially where hammering Beethoven allows such easily, as at the end of 2iii leading to the great off-beat chords in 3i and the rhythms of 7i and 8ii. Further there is popular 1970-music evolving from Beethoven, herp Alpert and a near-quote from Lara’s theme from Doctor Zhivago following 6v’s Shepard’s song.
          The end is a paraphrase of the pop-version of the Ode to Joy which hit the pop charts in 1970, obviously with drum bass, but ending with the last four bars of the Sacre du Printemps.
          Further an elaboration of 8ii into the Stravinskyan/rossinian Barbiere-theme, and very sentimental quotes form Für Elise and the Moonlight sonata, more or less a la Waldo de los Rios.
          And all of this withing 10 minutes.
          Sounds quite interesting Roehre. I could not find it on You Tube. Do you know where it can be listened to for free, if it is possible?
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            Are these from one of his cycles? If so, which one? I've heard that the first cycle he did was pretty good. The one I have is the second, but the last disc contains the same program as the penultimate, so I missing the last sonatas in the cycle. Bummer.
            It's from his third and last cycle, the stereo one from the sixties. His earliest cycle was recorded on shellac between 1926 and 1945 (and is a few sonatas short of being completed). Many consider his middle cycle from the fifties to be his best.
            The DGG recordings are extremely bright and brittle (sounding at time almost like a fortepiano) and, to me anyway, seem to complement Kempff's style which has been described as "full of light". This is generalising, but he does seem to emphasise the lyrical side of Beethoven's keyboard music. He is the only pianist I have come across who can make the fugue from the Hammerklavier "sing".
            He can be quite cavalier with exposition repeats, though. I don't think that really matters in the very early sonatas, but he does leave out the one in the Hammerklavier, of all works. (At least in my stereo set.)
            I gather that you have the middle set, Sorrano. Could you check if he commits the same sin in the opening movement? Or are you missing that work because of the CD foul-up?

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              Or did the Haydn sound like Pleyel ?
              Good point!

This morning it was John Powell's "In the South".

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                It's from his third and last cycle, the stereo one from the sixties. His earliest cycle was recorded on shellac between 1926 and 1945 (and is a few sonatas short of being completed). Many consider his middle cycle from the fifties to be his best.
                The DGG recordings are extremely bright and brittle (sounding at time almost like a fortepiano) and, to me anyway, seem to complement Kempff's style which has been described as "full of light". This is generalising, but he does seem to emphasise the lyrical side of Beethoven's keyboard music. He is the only pianist I have come across who can make the fugue from the Hammerklavier "sing".
                He can be quite cavalier with exposition repeats, though. I don't think that really matters in the very early sonatas, but he does leave out the one in the Hammerklavier, of all works. (At least in my stereo set.)
                I gather that you have the middle set, Sorrano. Could you check if he commits the same sin in the opening movement? Or are you missing that work because of the CD foul-up?

I'll have to dig that set up (I was so disgusted with the last CD being duplicated that I put it away and haven't been back to it for awhile) and it might take a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                  Sounds quite interesting Roehre. I could not find it on You Tube. Do you know where it can be listened to for free, if it is possible?
                  Preston, I am afraid I cannot tell you. My recording is an off-air from the 1980s.

Comment

Today:

Süssmayr:
                    Symphony in C SmWV403 “Sinfonia turchesca” (1802) (R3: Classical Collection)

Norbert Hoffmann:
                    3 Elegies (1946 rev. 1980)

Mertzig:
                    Rapsodie chorégraphique (1947)

Puccini:
                    Edgar

Comment

This morning it was the Carl Nielsen Clarinet Concerto.

Comment

Selections from Handel's Water Music.

Comment

How about Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor on a glass harp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKRj-T4l-e8

Comment

Parsifal - the transcendental finale - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-UEar-WYEc
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today:

The latest BBC MM CD with piano music by Ravel and Debussy. A properly tuned piano would have made this CD even more enjoyable.

Ferdinand David:
                              Andante and Scherzo Capriccioso, Op. 16 (1846)(R3: Ao3)

Jozef Wieniawski:
                              Piano Concerto in G minor, Op. 20 (1858) (R3: Ao3)

Puccini:
                              Manon Lescaut

Comment

This morning: Spohr's 10th Violin Concerto. Didn't someone mention him not too long ago?

Comment

Working...
                                X