Gertrude's Dream Waltz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gertrude's Dream Waltz

I'm very new to Beethoven and all classical music. Heard a piece "Gertrude's Dream Waltz." Where can I find a midi to listen to on the computer? I did a search and some sites came up, but the words "Gertrude's Dream Waltz" did not appear on the sites anywhere. Is there some other way to identify this piece? And, is this on any sound recording/CD? Thank you for the assistance.

http://ftp.sunet.se/cma/beethovn.htmlHere</a> is a link to a MIDI. Look down the page, you should find it.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 11-17-2000).]

Comment

If you use www.google.com as search engine, you will pick up numerous entries referring to "Gertrude's Dream Waltz" but no actual information about it.
      I've never heard of it before. Does anyone know if it has a Hess or any catalogue number? Or is it one of those "borderline" pieces that may have been by B.?
      It's an attractive little tune, anyway, judging by the MIDI, but it's totally unfamiliar to me. (Of course, all I need now is someone informing me that's it's a well-known movement slowed down or played backwards).

Michael

Comment

I couldn't find it on CD, so I'm not sure.

Comment

Just got this from the Unheard Beethoven site:

Detailed Information
          Gertrude's Dream waltz for piano, Kinsky-Halm Anhang 16, nr.2 (Date unknown).

This waltz is almost certainly not by Beethoven (who wrote practically zero waltzes, and nothing in the style of this composition). It was first published in 1852 by Schuberth in Leipzig as being a Beethoven composition. No autograph or sketches exist and as noted the style is wholly unlike Beethoven. The actual composer is unknown. The piece did become enormously popular and was a fixture of amateur pianists' repertoires well into the 20th century.

I was fooled for a bit, anyway, which shows how much I know!

Michael

Comment

Working...
          X