Edgar Georg Ulmer's film; "Carnegie Hall", 1947

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edgar Georg Ulmer's film; "Carnegie Hall", 1947

I've come across this restoration with a flimsy and trite storyline; Edgar G. Ulmer's "Carnegie Hall". Made in 1947, the premise of the film is a thin plot-line used to introduce audiences to some of the greatest musicians of the age. In many parts of the film the plot is risible, but the music is not!!

Ulmer was born in Czechoslovakia when it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and he was Jewish. No further explanation needed about why he decamped to the USA. I've always taken a keen interest in film noir and many of these films are available on U-Tube. Today I watched Ulmer's "Detour" (1945) and it had the familiar hard-boiled characters and wise-guy argot. Many noir films are like this and, having seen so many lately, I've had the opportunity to compare Ulmer's work with his contemporaries and right away I could see the visual imagination of Ulmer on display and you can see this for yourself in "Carnegie Hall". Ulmer was relegated to low-budget , B grade films - made at a time when there was such a thing as a "Double Feature". You endured the lesser B picture before settling down to the "main feature" - back in the day!! It now occurs to me from my recent viewings that many of these so-called B pictures (not all, by any means) were very well-crafted films. Ulmer stood on toes, so he was forced to remain a low rent director. Looking at his work today we can see this was a fine film-maker struggling for recognition. His "Carnegie Hall" is well worth watching for the historic part-performances.
    Last edited by Schenkerian; 04-25-2022, 07:44 AM.
Working...
X