PDA

View Full Version : Beethoven and Schubert

Serge
11-15-2000, 07:21 AM
I've always been interested in Schubert's relationship with Beethoven, or, more accurately, lack of one. He died the year after Beethoven died, and was his pallbearer, I believe, but why wasn't there more contact between the two? Schubert worshipped the ground B. walked on, so I'm told. There are stories of Schubert sitting in a tavern at a table near B., trying to work up the nerve to go up and talk to him, or something. How strange that a fellow composer would be so circumspect.

Luis
11-15-2000, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Serge:
I've always been interested in Schubert's relationship with Beethoven (...)

Here you'll find some info: http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/3732/shubintro_e.htm

[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 11-15-2000).]

Peter
11-15-2000, 11:07 AM
It is indeed strange that living in the same city there wasn't more contact between the two - the official line has always been that Schubert was so in awe that in the master's presence it reduced him to a virtual wreck. Schubert could certainly have done with some help in getting his music performed - to my knowledge he only had one public concert in his life-time. Schubert was of course still a young man in his 20's and possibly the syphilis that he was suffering from made him very ashamed - I think there is an entry in the conversation books that refers to Schubert saying he hides himself away.

------------------
'Man know thyself'