PDA

View Full Version : The Glorious Moment!


Rod
04-09-2001, 05:10 PM
With this posting I'd like to draw your attention to what one could say is the 3rd most important day in the Beethovenian calender, after B's birthday and deathday, namely MY birthday. Actually it was yesterday, but I left the announcement until today so that I could provide you unworthy lot with an appropriate momento of this glorious occasion: an mp3 of the finale of B's excellent and rarely heard (or recorded) canata 'Der glorreiche Augenblick' (The Glorious Moment) Op.136. A work of 1814 that I personally would fit into the late period. Enjoy...
Op136.mp3 (http://www.frameworks-city.ltd.uk/Op136.mp3)

It comes from a good recording on the Koch label (3-7377-2 H1).

PS No wise cracks along the lines of 'can't wait for the 4th most important date'!

------------------
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-09-2001).]

Peter
04-09-2001, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Rod:
With this posting I'd like to draw your attention to what one could say is the 3rd most important day in the Beethovenian calender, after B's birthday and deathday, namely MY birthday.



Thanks for that Rod - the 'Glorious moment' certainly does not deserve the oblivion to which it has been consigned. I don't see if you put this work in the late period, that you can't do the same with Op.90 or the finale of Symphony no.8.
Re the 3rd most important day in the B calender, I would have thought it would be B's Name-day, so you will have to slip down to No.4 anyway!

Name-Days were celebrated at this time, not Birthdays - does anyone know when B's Name-Day was?

P.S Many Commiserations for yesterday and having moved a step further to the next important date !

------------------
'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 04-09-2001).]

Rod
04-09-2001, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Peter:
Thanks for that Rod - the 'Glorious moment' certainly does not deserve the oblivion to which it has been consigned. I don't see if you put this work in the late period, that you can't do the same with Op.90 or the finale of Symphony no.8.
Re the 3rd most important day in the B calender, I would have thought it would be B's Name-day, so you will have to slip down to No.4 anyway!

I believe the works you mention have, in my opinion, a distinctly different sound to the early 'late period' works, as I see them, such as this cantata, the Elegaic song and 'Becalmed and Prosperous Voyage' (there are a few others) produced around 1814/15. The genial nature of late-middle works like op90 is replaced by a new found 'austerity' of texture, for want of a better word, that I have said before I suspected was a baroque influence.

Originally posted by Peter:

Name-Days were celebrated at this time, not Birthdays - does anyone know when B's Name-Day was?

I don't care about Name-days, it's birthdays we are interested in today.

Originally posted by Peter:

P.S Many Commiserations for yesterday and having moved a step further to the next important date !


So you couldn't resist. Since becomming the 'chose one' (the cafe is now being turned into a shrine), I suspect I will be relieved of ever 'achieving' the grim 4th date. Heck, it worked for that Jewish guy, why not a Geordie!?

------------------
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-09-2001).]

MCS
04-09-2001, 10:31 PM
Name-Days were celebrated at this time, not Birthdays - does anyone know when B's Name-Day was?


I think it would have been August 25, feast day of St. Louis, king of France.
And I suggest celebrating BOTH his birthday AND his Name-day...Any excuse will do to raise a toast to the Master.

Mary

Rod
04-09-2001, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by MCS:
...Any excuse will do to raise a toast to the Master.

Mary

Well now you have yet another excuse to go out and get drunk - the birthday of B's 'chosen one'! Every April 8th, symbolically pour a sachet of sugar into a cup of tea as an act of homage, then down a bottle of whisky in one go.

------------------
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

MCS
04-10-2001, 12:11 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rod:
[B] ...Every April 8th, symbolically pour a sachet of sugar into a cup of tea as an act of homage, then down a bottle of whisky in one go.

Would a bottle of good German beer do instead?

Mary (who doesn't care much for whisky)

[This message has been edited by MCS (edited 04-10-2001).]

Peter
04-10-2001, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by MCS:
Would a bottle of good German beer do instead?

Mary (who doesn't care much for whisky)

The best thing would be some of that Beethoven wine I mentioned!

------------------
'Man know thyself'

MCS
04-10-2001, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
[B] The best thing would be some of that Beethoven wine I mentioned!

Sounds perfect, Peter! If someone will provide the vino, I'll bake some springerle and lebkuchen. (Those of you with leiderhose are encouraged to wear them!) http://www.gyrix.com/~cgraye/ubb/wink.gif

Mary

~Leslie
04-10-2001, 08:45 AM
Ah-ha! Born under the sign of the outspoken Ram. This explains all the head- butting, and horn -locking.

Over and out, salute!~

Suzie
04-10-2001, 12:01 PM
Cheers, Birthday Boy!