PDA

View Full Version : Anniversaries

Peter
03-26-2001, 03:28 PM
Not only is today the 174th anniversary of the great man's death - (I shall be observing a minutes silence at 4.45p.m - in anticipation of a thunder storm! - it looks miserable enough outside today!), but it is also the 223rd anniversary of B's first public appearance (aged 7) -"Musical Academy".Sternengasse,Cologne.

------------------
'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 03-26-2001).]

Rod
03-26-2001, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Peter:
Not only is today the 174th anniversary of the great man's death - (I shall be observing a minutes silence at 4.45p.m - in anticipation of a thunder storm! - it looks miserable enough outside today!), but it is also the 223rd anniversary of B's first public appearance (aged 7) -"Musical Academy".Sternengasse,Cologne.

I'm annoyed because I got ready some rare and appropriately solemn Beethoven music on CD to download today as mp3's (the Equali and the Elegaic Hymn) to mark the event, but I left them indoors. I'll do it tomorrow.

------------------
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 03-26-2001).]

MCS
03-26-2001, 09:07 PM
RIP, Ludvig!

BTW, does anyone know what his last words were?

Mary

Kevin
03-26-2001, 09:50 PM
Applaud friends, the comedy is over. Or something along those lines.

Originally posted by MCS:
RIP, Ludvig!

Mary

PDG
03-26-2001, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Kevin:
Applaud friends, the comedy is over. Or something along those lines.

Why would he say: "Or something along those lines"?

------------------
PDG (Peter)

Peter
03-26-2001, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by MCS:
RIP, Ludvig!

Mary

I'm always suspicious of 'last words' , but apparently he said 'Plaudite amici, finita est comoedia!' - which Kevin has wonderfully translated for us!

------------------
'Man know thyself'

Rod
03-27-2001, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Peter:
I'm always suspicious of 'last words' , but apparently he said 'Plaudite amici, finita est comoedia!' - which Kevin has wonderfully translated for us!

From what I've read, it is consistantly stated that his final recorded words before going into a coma were "pity, pity...too late" refering to the gift of wine he had just received but obviously was not in a fit state to consume.

------------------
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 03-27-2001).]

Joy
03-29-2001, 01:35 AM
You're right, Rod. His "Applaude, friends,
the comedy is over" was said on March 23rd.
"Pity, pity, too late" was said on March 24th at 1:00pm. and then he lapsed into a coma saying no more.
Joy

Serge
03-29-2001, 06:41 AM
How tragic.