PDA

View Full Version : Sacred music


Luis
03-17-2001, 08:22 AM
One of my favorite genres in classical music is sacred music Ėsomething rather curious, being myself agnostic- anyway, one of the things I most enjoy are the large contrapuntistic fugal parts like the two glorias from Beethovenís masses or like Mozartís credo from his coronation mass. What other sacred music youíd recommend me? I already have a few masses by Bach (B minor), Faure, Mozart (k. 427, 337, 317) and the requiems of Brahms, Faure, Mozart and Verdi; as well as other misc. sacred works like Mozartís vesperae solemnis de confessore, K. 339 (Serge you HAVE to buy this one!!!!).

PS: Has anyone heard B's missa solemnis by Levine on the Complete Beethoven Edition? It's TERRIBLE!!! I wonder why DG having so many good versions of this mass put this one on the set!! (My onw favorite is Karajan's 66) I also don't like from the CBE the Gardiner's version of op. 86... too slow, specially the gloria and the Agnus Dei.

[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 03-17-2001).]

Peter
03-17-2001, 09:05 AM
Try going earlier - Monteverdi,Allegri,Palestrina. Vivaldi also wrote some fine church music. With the later stuff I noticed Berlioz and Bruckner missing from your list. Talking of Liszt, there is his St.Elisabeth (I think that's what it's called, but I don't know the thing!)

------------------
'Man know thyself'

Serge
03-17-2001, 08:37 PM
Mozartís vesperae solemnis de confessore, K. 339 (Serge you HAVE to buy this one!!!!). [/B]

Aww, c'mon, guy. It's Mozart AND not-orchestral AND non-secular!! Well, if you insist then... But I'm hanging onto the receipt, just in case...

Peter
03-17-2001, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Luis:
sacred works like Mozartís vesperae solemnis de confessore, K. 339 (Serge you HAVE to buy this one!!!!).



Yes and fine as the whole thing is , I defy you Serge to listen to the Laudate Dominum in particular and NOT be moved !

------------------
'Man know thyself'

Luis
03-17-2001, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Serge:
Aww, c'mon, guy. It's Mozart AND not-orchestral AND non-secular!! Well, if you insist then... But I'm hanging onto the receipt, just in case...




Exactly, Serge, I think for people who don't like Mozart his sacred music could be still enjoyabe. So I'd suggest you to start with the vesperae or his coronation mass.

Peter, would you please be more specific with your recommendations? Am I missing something really good from Mozart?

Peter
03-18-2001, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Luis:


Peter, would you please be more specific with your recommendations? Am I missing something really good from Mozart?

Well with Mozart there are around 60 sacred works to choose from! Try the 3 Litanies K.109 and 125, and particularly K.243. The Graduale ad festum 'Sancta Maria' K.273 is quite beautiful. The Motet 'Exulte Jubilate' K.165 contains the famous Alleluja and the Motet 'Ave Verum Corpus' K.618 is a must!

With Allegri I was thinking of the 'Misere' and Monteverdi's Vespers. Palestina's Missa Papae Marcelli is central to his work along with his Stabat Mater. Skipping forward a few hundred years I believe Rossini also wrote a Stabat Mater. Bruckner, Dvorak and Berlioz all wrote substantial Te Deums. That should keep you going for a while!

------------------
'Man know thyself'

Chris
03-18-2001, 06:54 PM
Speaking from a Catholic perspective, I find sacred music to be one of the most inspirational things I can think of. It's just too bad that we really don't have the resources that we need to play the good stuff in church. I lend my violin "skills", but other than that we just have a pianist and a few singers http://www.gyrix.com/~cgraye/ubb/frown.gif

Rod
03-18-2001, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Luis:

Peter, would you please be more specific with your recommendations? Am I missing something really good from Mozart?

No, but you're missing something good from Handel, namely his Carmelite Vespers (best recording is 2 disk set on Virgin Veritas label), of which 'Dixit Dominus' in particular is flawless and superb, especially so in my recommended recording.

------------------
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

Luis
03-19-2001, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Peter:
Well with Mozart there are around 60 sacred works to choose from! Try the 3 Litanies K.109 and 125, and particularly K.243. The Graduale ad festum 'Sancta Maria' K.273 is quite beautiful. The Motet 'Exulte Jubilate' K.165 contains the famous Alleluja and the Motet 'Ave Verum Corpus' K.618 is a must!

With Allegri I was thinking of the 'Misere' and Monteverdi's Vespers. Palestina's Missa Papae Marcelli is central to his work along with his Stabat Mater. Skipping forward a few hundred years I believe Rossini also wrote a Stabat Mater. Bruckner, Dvorak and Berlioz all wrote substantial Te Deums. That should keep you going for a while!




Many thanks Peter!!! I've saved this info and I'll buy something from it soon. I think I'll start with Mozart's Litanies or with Palestina's Missa Papae Marcelli; besides, I already have Dvorak's Tedeum and Berlioz's Requiem both ready to be downloaded http://www.gyrix.com/~cgraye/ubb/biggrin.gif

Rod, what other Handel sacred work would you recommend me? I bought Dixit Dominus about four months ago (Gardiner, Erato) and, to tell you the truth, I wasn't too much impressed with it.


[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 03-18-2001).]

Rod
03-19-2001, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Luis:


Rod, what other Handel sacred work would you recommend me? I bought Dixit Dominus about four months ago (Gardiner, Erato) and, to tell you the truth, I wasn't too much impressed with it.


[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 03-18-2001).]

Haven't heard your recording, I suspect it was Gardiner's occasionally lame and 1 dimentional interpretational style that is to blame. The works in question is regarded is the crowning achievement of H's 'early period'! Hence there are quite a few recordings of it to choose from. If you like sacred music get the disk set I mention, if you don't like this DD I'll give you your money back! The music is interspersed with plainchant as apparently would have been the case in those days, and creates a solemn effect. A friend of mine who has little interest in classical music was so captivated by this recording he 'ordered' me to get him a copy, an now he and his girlfriend play DD over and over again!

Other Handel recommentions include the Chandos Anthems which are intimate settings with some good concerto-like introductions (I can recommend the 4 disk set on Chandos label), he also did a couple of very good 'te deums' and 'jubilates'. The oratarios are really historical dramas rather than true sacred music.

------------------
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin



[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 03-19-2001).]