PDA

View Full Version : Piano Concerto Question

Chris
09-09-2000, 06:54 PM
Has anyone ever heard a set of the piano concertos with each one being played on a different piano to reflect more exactly what Beethoven wrote it for? I know there's at least one out there.

------------------
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." - Mark Twain

Peter
09-10-2000, 02:56 PM
Well I've never heard of it ! - It seems rather odd - The piano Concertos span a period of 14 years (excepting WoO.4 from 1784), so do you mean 5 different pianos from this period are used ? If you mean that different modern pianos are used, I suppose there could be a case for that. Interesting to know what piano you would use for each concerto - Perhaps different pianos should be used for different movements as well !

Chris
09-10-2000, 03:25 PM
No, they were fortepianos. I heard about a set like this from a friend of mine, who is a big period instrument fan. He said he wasn't sure, but the continuo parts that are never played might be in there. If nobody knows, I'll ask him and report back http://www.gyrix.com/~cgraye/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Rod
09-10-2000, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Chris:
Has anyone ever heard a set of the piano concertos with each one being played on a different piano to reflect more exactly what Beethoven wrote it for? I know there's at least one out there.

As you'd expect, I perhaps have the set in question, with Steven Lubin playing 4 different fortepianos (on L'Oiseau Lyre label). I can only really recomend no3 (? piano) and no5 (Graf piano) from this set. For a first class no4 check out Paul Badura-Skoda (Graf piano) with the on Deutche Harmonia Mundi (with the Trio Concerto). For no's 1 & 2 try Jos van Immerseel (Walter piano) and Tafelmusik on Sony label.

Rod

Chris
09-10-2000, 11:33 PM
That might be it, but I'm not sure.

------------------

Kevin
09-11-2000, 04:00 AM
The recording by John Eliot Gardiner and Robert Levin takes this approach. Levin used 4 different pianofortes corresponding with the type used in the first performance of each concerto. Obviously, they used period instruments and the reviews I have read have been favorable.

Peter
09-11-2000, 09:53 AM
I'm particularly curious about the 'Emperor' concerto recording on period instruments - how does the Graf cope with the powerful octave passage in the 1st movement ? Was a Graf used at the first performance in Leipzig ?

------------------
'Man know thyself'

Rod
09-11-2000, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Peter:

I'm particularly curious about the 'Emperor' concerto recording on period instruments - how does the Graf cope with the powerful octave passage in the 1st movement ? Was a Graf used at the first performance in Leipzig ?

I don't think we know what instrument was used at the premiere, I'd like to know this myself. But it was not a Graf I'm pretty sure. The instrument in the recording I mention is a (good) copy of an 1820 Graf, which does a credible job of the octaves. I don't think B would have wrote a piano piece designed for public performance unless he thought it was realisable using at least the very best instruments of the day. The many fortepiano (5, 5.5, 6 and 6.5 octave instruments, mainly Viennese action) CD's I have prove this to be the case, on recordings at least.

Rod

Rod

Rod
09-11-2000, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Peter:

I don't think we know what instrument was used at the premiere, I'd like to know this myself. But it was not a Graf I'm pretty sure. The instrument in the recording I mention is a (good) copy of an 1820 Graf, which does a credible job of the octaves. I don't think B would have wrote a piano piece designed for public performance unless he thought it was realisable using at least the very best instruments of the day. The many fortepiano (5, 5.5, 6 and 6.5 octave instruments, mainly Viennese action) CD's I have prove this to be the case, on recordings at least.

Rod

Rod